Stupid things people say not to report child abuse:
sexual, physical, and psychological.
- My grandfather (or whomever) may have to go to jail.
- He/she is too old/young to be prosecuted. You will ruin his/her life.
- Can you imagine what could happen to him/her if he/she had to go to jail?
- Just let it go. Quit living in the past.
- They aren't my kids, so it's not my responsibility.
- Keep me out of it!
- Well, she/he must have done something to get that treatment.
- It was so long ago; just forget about it.
- Don't tell me the gory details. Leave me out of it.
- Every child has to go through tough times.
- A little slap or two won't hurt.
- Reporting this will destroy our family (as if it hasn't already).
- Nobody needs to know.
- But he/she didn't do it to me; therefore, he/she couldn't have done it to you.
- Don't stress. Don't hurt mother and/or father. It will devastate her and/or him if you talk about it. Keep quiet.
- My all time favorite (sarcastically speaking): It was nothing!